The Bloody Chickens

Egg production has been a real issue in recent months.  It’s been up and down like a honeymooner’s pants.  I’ve tried all manner of things to fix it…but I’m often my own worst enemy when it comes to dealing with problems like this.  Process improvement requires that you change only one variable at a time…otherwise you’ll struggle to know which variable brought about the improvement…but I’m sometimes too clever for that.  

This week, I finally cracked the code.  So, if you keep chickens and you want to know what the issue was, see HERE.

Organic Hydro Biofilter/Brewer

It’s been an interesting few days in my quest to understand more about organic hydroponics in general…and human urine in particular.  Follow my daily progress…HERE.

iAVs/DWC Comparison

I’ve set up the fish side of the proposed comparison. 

This unit is my microFish Farm 2.0…a stand-alone recirculating aquaculture system.  It comprises a 1,000-litre fish tank, two radial flow filters, a packed media filter and a moving bed biofilter.  This will be attached to a 1,000 DWC grow tank.

This is the fish side for the iAVs…and it will be attached to a 1,000-litre sand biofilter/grow bed.

Since this project is a comparison of DWC with iAVs, it’s probably useful to make the point, at this stage, that DWC requires more equipment than iAVs…so capital expenditure will be higher.  In this particular case, the cost is over double that of the iAVs.

My Workshop

My workshop often takes on the appearance of an exploded goat (shit everywhere)…but, this week, my minimalist self got in and de-cluttered it.  The workshop space is only 6 metres by 4 metres – and it has to perform a variety of function…including building food production systems, making and mending and tool/equipment storage.  Suffice to say, compromises are necessary.

  

Betting that it will stay as clean and tidy as it is now, won’t get you big odds at your online betting shop.  C’est la vie!

-o0o-